Project SPARK focuses on early recognition of and attention to students with high academic potential. The summer program provides an enrichment learning opportunity for students who have been referred to the project by their K-2 classroom teachers in several participating schools in four districts across Connecticut.
Summary of Volunteer Position
The Project SPARK Summer Program teaching volunteers will work with classroom teachers to implement an advanced, hands-on mathematics curriculum for high potential students. Volunteers will gain valuable teaching experience by working with students in grades K-2 for at least 5 of the 15 days of the summer program. Teaching volunteers will work directly with students during instruction, classwork, and other class activities as needed by the teacher. The program generally runs for about 3 to 3.5 hours in the morning.
The summer programs will be held in the following districts, with specific dates and locations to be announced. Most of the programs will occur primarily during the month of July 2017.
Manchester Public Schools
New Haven Public Schools
Norwalk Public Schools
West Hartford Public Schools
1. Completed (or in process) fingerprinting and background check through Neag or a CT school district
2. Transportation to and from your chosen summer project site
3. One reference (preferably a UConn Neag faculty member or Neag advisor) that we may contact about you
4. Commitment to at least 5 total days of volunteering (the days do not have to be consecutive)
5. Outstanding interpersonal, communication, and problem solving skills for working with other adults and with young children
6. Sensitivity, understanding and appreciation for the needs and strengths of a diverse school district and community
If you are potentially interested in volunteering for the program, please complete the form below and we will get in touch with you in the spring semester when we have more specific details available. Please email Rebecca O’Brien (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Catherine Little (email@example.com) with questions.